Sunday 5 July 2015

Gongura mamsam

   There always used to be five to six types of spinach around my place, though I always end up buying palak, methi.  I, got intrigued with puntikura, after an taste of gongura chutney at my mother's place.  So, when I asked an fellow lady, who, I chanced upon picking these, she told me that they used to add in gosht prepartions.


So, I happily picked these and left home.  With my 'The Essential Andhra Cookbook' handy, I zeroed over an recipe called Chigoor ka salan.  Though these were made of tamarind leaves, this recipe also suggested any addition of spinach.  So, I nailed it replacing tamarind with gongura.  This curry had an high sour quotient along with balanced spice and salt.   This was completely unique,  and we did enjoy this as an family.   Do try and let us know.  


Preparation time:  25 minutes
Cooking time:  45 minutes
Serves: 2

Ingredients required


  • 300 gm of boneless mutton
  • 4 tbspn oil
  • 11/2 cups of finely chopped onions
  • 5 green chillies, slit lengthwise
  • 1/4 tsp of turmeric
  • 1 tsp ginger paste
  • 11/2 tsp garlic paste
  • 2 tsp cumin powder
  • 2 cups of finely chopped puntikura
  • 6 curry leaves
  • 11/2 tsp red chilly powder
  • Salt, to taste


To temper

  • 1 tbspn of oil
  • 3 dry red chillies
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds

Method

Pressure cook the mutton for one whistle, keep aside.  Heat oil in an kadaai.  

\

Add onions and saute them till they turn brown.  


Now add green chillies, turmeric, ginger and garlic.  Fry them together.  



Now, add mutton (without stock) and saute them for two minutes.


Now, add in finely chopped puntikura along with cumin powder.  Keep them simmer till the spinach tuns soft and water gets evaporated.





Add in one cup of water along with mutton stock, add salt and red chilly to taste.  Cover and cook till mutton is soft and done.  




Just before serving, add the temper of mustard seeds, garlic and red chillies.  Enjoy this with rice/dosa



Linking this to  Srivalli's CCC Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys..
Kindly drop by ur suggestions for my post... Ur beloved comments/suggestions mean a lot to me!

nRelate Posts Only